- 0.5 cup Semolina/Sooji Rava
- 0.25 cup Green Peas
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 tsp Seasoning(Mustard, Jeera, Chana Dal, Urad Dal, Red chillies, 3-4 curry leaves)
- 2 Green Chillies
- 0.5 tsp grated ginger
- 1.5 cups Water
- In a pot, heat up some oil and add the seasoning, green chillies, grated ginger and curry leaves.
- Once they start spluttering add the peanuts and let them fry till they change color and get crunchy.
- Now add sliced/chopped onions and green peas.
- Once the onions gets soft, add water and salt and let it boil.
- To the boiled water add Semolina while stirring continuously.
- Reduce the flame and keep stirring for 3-4 minutes to avoid any lumps.
- Turn off the flame when everything comes together and cover it with a lid for 2 minutes.
- Serve the hot upma with coconut chutney/peanut chutney/ginger chutney or spice powder.
Healthy additions/substitutes/other alternatives
- Other veggies that can be added to the upma are carrots/potatos/corn/green beans. Please adjust the nutrition facts accordingly.
- Walnuts taste good too instead of peanuts.