- 0.5 cup Black Eye Beans
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Green Chillies or 1 Jalepeno
- 1 sprig Corainder
- 3-4 Mint leaves
- Garam Masala
- Rice Flour/Chickpea flour (optional)
- Grated carrot
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the black eyed beans overnight. Do not cook the beans
- Chop onion,coriander,Jalepenos,mint leaves,carrot
- Add the soaked Black eyed beans and chopped vegetables to the blender.DO NOT add any water.
- Grind coarsely. Add salt and Garam Masala as needed.
- if the blended mixture is wet or feels loose, mix in little rice flour or chick pea flour. The consistency should be thick to make a patty. Even if the texture is right a little rice flour/chickpea flour can still be rolled in to make fritters crispy.
- Make small patties in the palm and fry in the oil.
- Take them out to a hand towel to remove the excess oil.
- Serve with ketchup and some tea.
Healthy additions/substitutes/other alternatives
- Instead of deep frying, this can be baked too. I haven’t figured out the baking time yet. Will update when i experiment it next time.
- For the alternative condiment, make a mixture of Avocado, coriander,mint,pepper powder and salt. Pipe a little bit of this pureed mixture on each fritter just before serving. Otherwise it will make the fritter soggy. I did not have Avocados in hand. Next time i make it, i will update the pictures.
- Black Eyed Beans are very good to overcome constipation.
The above recipe makes approximately 12 fritters.
Each fritter is (Total Nutrition)/12. Please note that below values are without the optional ingredients.
- Carbs: 3.8 gm
- Fiber: 1.6 gm
- Protein: 1.5 gm
Nutrition Facts for optional Ingredients: